Saturday, December 30, 2006

Status Change


Well just when everything was going great, we had another spot of bad luck. Our Lawyer Svetlana has certain access to documents on these children at the baby house only after a family has decided to adopt him/her. She knows who they are and their particulars about male, female, age, weight and things like that.

Once perspective parents make a decision to adopt then the Ministry of Education and our Lawyer open up the full case and start getting the documents in order for court. While they were doing that they found a piece in Azamat's record that was not in order. As an orphan in Kaz, you must be registered in three locations. Listed in the city level for one month, Listed in the State Level for 2 months and listed in the Country level for 3 months. Az, was not listed at the country level, even though he has been in the orphange for almost a year. The guilt falls on the hands of the people working in the Ministry of Education. It is their job to make sure that all three levels are taken care of. In this case his paperwork for the third stage fell through the cracks.

On Wednesday morning, we were ready to go to the baby house and when we were picked up the lady from the ministry was with us. I did not think much about it. When we got to the house, she, our lawyer, and the director had a meeting and we sat in the waiting room. Lena, our translator told us this was not a good sign. Normally this lady never comes to the baby house and she was told that the lady had to check on Az's paperwork.

Once in the office the lady told us that his paperwork was out of order. Meaning he had not been registered as an orphan at the country level. At this point we had 3 options. We could wait until Azamat would be available to adopt and come back in April, see another boy that would be available on January 7th or take a look at a girl.

Amy and I went to a seperate room to discuss it all. I had already made up my mind but I needed to hear it from Amy before I said anything. After we finally calmed down, me from ranting and cussing and amy from crying, we decided to adopt Azamat and come back to Kaz in April.

I know what you are thinking, what guarentee do we have he will still be there? We signed a document in Svetlana's office that stated we wanted to adopt Azamat and that we would return in April. Before she left I did ask the lady if there was anything that could be done while we were there to speed the paperwork along and if there was anything her boss could do. She told me no becuase it was the court that would make the ruling and they would throw out the case.

So, we decided to come home immediately. We left Kaz on Thursday night at 10:00 pm. We arrived in Memphis on Friday at 5:00 pm. Very exauhsted and glad to be home, but a bittersweet pill to swallow.

We know that Az will be taken well care of and that he will not be adopted by anyone other than us. Lena said that she might be able to send us updated pictures every now and then.

Thanks again for all the inspiring messages and thoughtful prayers. They really helped us being so far from home. Now we just look forward to our next trip in April when we can bring William Rama Azamat Hall home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my friends,

I just read your posting. I've been checking daily hoping to get a glimspe of Azamant, thank you for the picture - truly an Angel. :)

I hope the two of you remain strong in your faith and supportive of each other as you always do.

Rikki

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of the mishap....he's worth waiting on tho, he is precious! I can't wait until ya'll get him home. What fun it sounds like you guys had with him. I want to see more pics..
I'm glad ya'll had a safe trip back home. Hope you get lots of rest, now. We missed ya'll Christmas, at your mom's! We hope you have a very Happy New Year! Take care!, Carol

Anonymous said...

Amy and David
At this point things seem to be in God's hand we will keep the two of you and Az in our prayers.

Frank & Joan Whitten

Anonymous said...

Amy & David

Little Az is so-ooo cute! I know things will work out with all of the prayers that are out there for you guys. Keep your faith and know that God will continue to be with you and bless you. I hate that you had to come home without Az, but glad that you arrived safely. As fast as the years have flown by, April will be here before you know it. My love to both of you and Az!

Aunt Sherry

Anonymous said...

David and Amy -
I've been keeping track of your journey - You guys have such a deep faith and we all know that April will be here before you know it and Larry will be spoiling him rotten!!!

Love you guys
Libi and Vince

Unknown said...

I wish you the best of luck. If nothing else, you are the very first people I've ever encountered who were not able to bribe a Kazakhstani government official (I once got a friend out of police custody in Kazakhstan for five bucks). I suppose it is good news if they are becoming more ethical in their professional practices, but I'm sorry you have to endure a delay. Again, I wish you luck.